Terms and Conditions
The following terms and conditions, aka Terms of Service, (hereinafter, the “Terms and Conditions”), govern the access and use that any natural or legal person, or representative in any form thereof, makes of the software WriteWise (hereinafter, “WriteWise” or the “Software”), through any program, application, plug-in, add-on or browser, and the website www.writewise.io (hereinafter referred to as the “Platforms”), as well as any type of information, content, image, video, audio and other matter contained in these.
Section 1. About WriteWise.WriteWise is software designed to help and assist in the writing of scientific articles, through the use of automatic-learning technology, computer analyses, artificial intelligence, and algorithms, operated by the Sociedad de Profesionales BioPub SpA, unique tax identification N° 76.455.477-9 (hereinafter the “Company”).
Without prejudice to the aforementioned points, certain services ancillary to WriteWise offered on the Platforms may be subject to additional terms and conditions. In such cases, the User’s use of such services shall also be subject to such additional terms and conditions, which are incorporated into the current Terms and Conditions by this reference. If the User does not accept said terms and conditions, they must refrain from using these services in any way.
WriteWise reserves the right to modify the current Terms and Conditions. The aforementioned modifications will be duly published on the WriteWise platforms, and the User will be notified through the Software or through the User’s email. Such changes, whether in the form of modifications, additions, or deletions, shall be effective on the date specified in the notification. The continued use of WriteWise by the User after the posting of any changes in the Terms of Service will mean that the User has accepted such changes.
Section 3. Users. For the purposes of the present Terms and Conditions, a user is understood to be any natural or legal person who accesses, uses, and/or registers on WriteWise through any of its Platforms (hereinafter, the “Users”).
Notwithstanding, WriteWise is intended for persons who are at least 18 years of age, who are fully capable and competent to understand and accept these Terms and Conditions.
Section 4. Services.WriteWise offers digital feedback and advice on the writing of scientific manuscripts, allowing its Users to obtain comments on the grammar, content, and structure of their documents.
The software can separately analyze each section of a manuscript, providing specific comments for each section. WriteWise therefore operates through modules classified based on particular analysis functions for each manuscript section, as described below:
Content Module: WriteWise automatically evaluates the user’s text and identifies typical discursive functions of scientific manuscripts. Once these discursive functions have been identified, the User’s text is statistically compared with a benchmark document of excellence (“Benchmark Document”). Comments given to users include the use (presence/absence) of discursive functions and the general coverage of each discursive function in relation to each manuscript section, as compared to the coverage metrics of the Benchmark Document.
Grammatical Voice and Verbs Module:
- Grammatical Voice: The Software detects and marks the use of passive/active voice in the manuscript for the User to review.
- Verbs: WriteWise identifies the discursive function and verb tense of each sentence. These results are compared against the statistics obtained from the Benchmark Document, advising the User when discrepancies exist between the voice/verb used versus the verb/voice prototypical of the detected discursive function.
Structure and Flow Module:
- Sentence length: The length of the sentences contained in the manuscript is compared with the average length contained in the Standard Document.
- Relevance: The user’s text is analyzed, and its content is classified according to its relative importance within the text. Less relevant sentences will be marked by the Software for the User to review.
- Keywords: WriteWise will identify and provide the User with a list of the main words in the manuscript. This function will only be available for the “Abstract” or “Summary” section of the manuscript.
Scientific Standards Module: The Software will identify errors contained in the manuscript that contradict commonly accepted rules for scientific writing.
Sentence Construction Module:
- Templates: The Software will provide Users with examples of discursive functions that can be used to start a sentence.
- Alternatives: WriteWise has compiled typical phrases and words for each discursive function. If any are found in the User’s text, they will be marked and additional examples of these words and phrases will be provided.
- Context aid: Users may highlight any word or phrase in their text, and WriteWise will provide contextual examples of usage in published documents.
Other Services: Additionally, WriteWise may provide its Users with the following services:
- Spell checker.
- Grammar checker.
- Rich text editor.
- Text import and export.
- Manuscript storage in WriteWise.
- Access to educational materials.
- Access to tutorials on the use of WriteWise.
- Access to question and answer webinars.
Special services: The following services may be provided under circumstances in which multiple annual licenses (+50) are purchased:
- In-person registration.
- Usage reports.
- Incorporation of the entity’s logo or brand in WriteWise.
Section 5. Price and Method of Payment.The price of the WriteWise software will be informed on the website, www.writewise.io and must be paid by the User online through the PayPal platform, using credit cards or a PayPal account, or by bank transfer in Chile upon request of bank account information by writing to the email address email@example.com.
Invoices will be issued within 5 business days of purchasing a subscription plan according to information provided by the User during the registration and payment process. The User will have a period of 8 calendar days to accept or reject the content of the invoice by writing an email to the Company (firstname.lastname@example.org), attaching the corresponding invoice. If no correspondence is received within this time period, the contents of the invoice will be considered as accepted by the User.
Section 6. Software License.The Company grants the User a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable license to access and use the WriteWise software, under the terms and conditions set forth herein.
The User may only use the Software as expressly permitted in this agreement, and may not:
- Circumvent the technical limitations of the Software, or use it in ways that interfere with its operation;
- Use reverse engineering techniques, decompile or disassemble the software;
- Make copies of the Software;
- Use the software in an illegal manner, or transmit information that is illegal, threatening, offensive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, vulgar, pornographic, profane or indecent of any kind, including images or language of this nature;
- Infringe the rights of others, or transmit messages that constitute, encourage or incite conduct that would constitute a criminal offence or give rise to civil liability;
- Transmit information, documents, software or other material containing a virus or other harmful component;
- Use any trademark, logo, images, text, page layout, formatting or other proprietary information of the Company, without express written consent;
- Interfere or attempt to interfere with any User’s use of the Software;
- Transfer, distribute, sell, lease, license or make available to a third party any aspect or part of the Software;
- Reproduce, copy, translate, modify, adapt, decompile, disassemble, create any derivative work from, translate from, enhance, update, add to, develop or improve the Software or the Company’s intellectual property.
- Use the software on more than one device.
The software will become accessible by the User after completing the registration and payment process. In cases where the User has any problems or difficulties in accessing or using the Software, the User can request technical support directly in the software by clicking on the corresponding button or by writing an email to email@example.com.
Section 7. Intellectual Property. In exercising the present Terms and Conditions, in corresponding relationship to the agreement between WriteWise and its Users, it will be understood that all trademarks, patents, copyrights, trade secrets, designs, works, programs, computer applications and other intellectual property rights contained in the Software and the Platforms are property of the Company, without prejudice to the rights that associated third-parties could hold (hereinafter, the “Intellectual Property”).
The User must not carry out any action that puts at risk or could put at risk the Intellectual Property of the Company. Likewise, the User declares that he will not participate directly or indirectly in any proceedings disputing the ownership or validity of the Company’s Intellectual Property, and that the Company is and will be the sole and exclusive owner of trademarks, patents, copyrights, trade secrets, designs, works, programs, computer applications, and in general any industrial and intellectual property rights, both obtained and pending, related to the Software and its Platforms; therefore, the User shall not carry out acts that could affect the value of the inventions, improvements or designs derived in whole or in part from the services provided by WriteWise.
Section 9. User Statements. The User declares, acknowledges and accepts that:
- The use of WriteWise, on any of its Platforms, is done so freely and voluntarily and under the sole and exclusive responsibility of the User.
- WriteWise is a digital consultancy software for writing manuscripts. Any and all comments, feedback, and analyses provided are mere suggestions. It is the final responsibility of the User to critically and analytically assess the results according to his/her own interests.
- WriteWise is not responsible for decisions made by the User regarding the use of the Software.
- The use of the Software does not guarantee that the User’s manuscript will be accepted for publication in scientific journals, theses, or other media.
- WriteWise does not guarantee the correction of all grammatical, structural, language, or presentation errors contained in the User’s manuscript.
Section 10. Applicable Law. The aforementioned Terms and Conditions shall be governed by Chilean legislation and jurisdiction, without prejudice to the consumer protection rights of Users in the countries where the services of WriteWise are provided.